Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Party Appetizer made Simple

Stress Free and Good Looking Recipes

Christmas can be a stressful time for everyone, but in particular for my mom. She has to buy all the presents for everyone, send Christmas letters and on top of that she bakes hundreds of Christmas cookies. We have a party every Christmas Eve at our house, so I decided to be helpful and make a party dip as one of the dishes, which was a perfect blogging opportunity.  I decided to make spicy corn dip (pictured below) which was something I had never had or made before. I got the recipe from the Upscale Downhome cookbook by Rachel Hollis and she mentioned in the book that this dip was one of the most popular recipes on her website (Hollis, 62) so I hoped it would be a good choice for the party.

When I do cook food I usually always make it last minute when I haven't even fully read through the preparation directions. But this time, since I was making it for a special occasion, I took the time to read through the directions the night before so I knew exactly how long this was going to take me. So, the morning of Christmas Eve I woke up early to start prepping my dish because Rachel Hollis had said in her cookbook "Whether it's for twelve people or for two, or just you and your cat, the fact that you put effort into the preparation made it something special" (Hollis, 8). I had fully made the dip before church and was just able to put it into the fridge until closer to the party when it needed to be cooked. Rachel Hollis was right, everybody at the party enjoyed my dip and I thought the bell pepper and scallions added nice color to the dish, so overall it was a success!

What is your favorite party dish? Why is it your favorite?




Hollis, Rachel. Upscale Downhome: Family Recipes, All Gussied Up. Thomas Dunne Books, St. Martin's Griffin, 2016.                                                   

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sienna, my name is Cindy. My favorite party dish is the good old deviled eggs. It's my favorite because it adds a lot more character to an plain hard boiled egg. It comes in lot of flavors and it's very customizable. It is also super simple to make as well and requires very simple ingredients. You are very creative in adding bell peppers and scallions to you corn dip in order to create a colorful dish. They look super appetizing and makes me want some. Make sure to check out and comment on my blog post about the strawberry and cream sponge cake I made for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also enjoy deviled eggs during Christmas, in fact my neighbor made some for the party I was talking about above! I will make sure to go check out your blog as well!

      Delete
  2. Hello Sienna, when I go to parties. I usually eat pastas because it's simple and clean to eat. Also I can relate to doing things last minute and it's best for people to do things early. But good job making your corn dip, It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brannon, I also love to eat pasta but my mom doesn't usually make it during the holidays. I might have to try making a pasta dish next year!

      Delete