Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Parisian Chic: LBD

"𝒯he little black dress is not simply an item of clothing, it's a concept." (Fressange 32). Fressange also mentions that's it's a universal thing, and the truth is, it is. It's something that you can find all around, a nice simple black dress, that can be dressed up or down depending on the person. 

Little black dresses are meant to be styled by yourself. While taking inspiration from other people is nice, it all depends on the person wearing it. "Everyone wears hers differently" (Fressange 32). 

For example, when I wear a LBD, I usually prefer to wear it to create a "neutral slate" and to bring out a statement piece to make it pop out more.

Here you can see that I paired the dress with gold heels, mainly to match the colors up with the hardware of the purse, but otherwise there's no other accessories, other than the bright blue purse, which is my statement item. 

But if you're someone who likes a more uniformed theme, you might go with accessories of the same metal, or that give off the same vibe.
With this outfit, I paired the dress with simple lace up flats, and a gold necklace with a pearl, and also a sea inspired gold charm bracelet. This ensemble matches metals (gold), and also nautical vibes. 

While you're free to style the dress however you want, it is preferred that it's simple, and without too many focus points.
Everything here is just too much. There's 3 different colors of metals (black, silver, and gold), the black ring will blend in with the dress, there's a different style of accessory on almost every body part, and with a bright purse and flashy necklace, which are 2 statement pieces and defeats the purpose of a statement piece. However, if you can somehow rock this look and this is the style you're going for, then go for it, because a LBD is about yourself and no one else. 

To everyone who owns a LBD, how do you like to style it? Do you ever style it based on how other people style theirs? 

𝑀𝑒𝓇𝒸𝒾 π΅π‘’π’Άπ“Šπ’Έπ‘œπ“Šπ“… !
  π’₯π‘’π“ˆπ“ˆπ’Ύπ’Έπ’Ά 𝑀.

Fressange, Ines de la, et al. Parisian Chic: a Style Guide. Flammarion, 2011.

4 comments:

  1. I love your outfit selection. I usually wear my LBD with pearls and black pumps or I'll add a splash of color via a scarf or fun shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ms. Robison! You're outfit selection sounds so nice too! Adding black pumps and pearls with a LBD is such a classy ensemble ! And I love that you like to add a splash of color, that really makes a LBD stand out more and make it more fun.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jessica! I love your article! I agree that picking a statement piece or color is the way to go when styling/wearing a LBD. I style my LBD by adding one specific accent color that shows in multiple articles of my outfit. Most of the time it's in the jewelry or in my shoes. I don't really base my style off of anyone but I try to follow the popular trends. How do you find the inspiration to pick out your statement pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Keira! I love the way how you style your LBD, it makes it sound so well put together! The way how I find inspiration to pick out my statement pieces is through what event I'm going to, and my personal style. If I'm going to a casual party, I pair my dress with more delicate and laid back pieces. If it's a more fancier party, or a wedding, I add a more "heavy" look to my dress, such as a more chunky necklace or something that really stands out. Finally my personal style plays a big role, as I love wearing nautical pieces- such as my charm bracelet, or adding pearls !

      Delete