Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Sweet Surrender

Self-love focuses on gathering the positive energy and incorporating in into your life. But it's also about getting rid of negative energy. "To get what you want, you have to let go of what you don't want" (Kaiser 242).  This principle encompasses the idea of needing to drop the negative things that surround and replace them with things that make you happy. People find ease at letting positive things in, but tend to struggle in the process of letting go. We always are trying to find constant control in our lives, and ironically it's the things we never can control. Letting go is the only way to expel the things in your life that drag you down.

Destination disaster. Best described as feeling as if your life isn't on track with what you originally planned. When the expectations that you make aren't met and you feel like a failure. You need to let of go of who you think you should be, and embrace who you are meant to be (Kaiser 244). Personally throughout my life I have always had high expectations for myself. Don't get me wrong maintaining high expectations is good, they help in achieving your overall goals. But there's a point where that bar becomes harmful not helpful. I needed to learn to let go of the negative energy I was feeding myself.  Inside of my source there was a mantra that I found helpful to repeat to myself. (See picture). Not only do you have to let go of the internal negative energy, but also external negative energy. Things like people or activities that make you unhappy need to go. Especially because the New Year is coming up many people see it as a fresh start. Letting go of people is especially hard, I have had to do it multiple times. But if someone that surrounds you brings only negative energy to the table, maybe it's time for you to walk away. Letting go and allowing the universe to steer is something I  have to continue to work on. But I know eventually it will make me a more accepting and open person. 
Question: What helps you generate more positive energy in your life? 

KAISER, SHANNON. SELF-LOVE EXPERIMENT: Fifteen Principles for Becoming More Kind, Compassionate, and... Accepting of Yourself. PENGUIN BOOKS, 2017.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is very important to always remember what you have and not focus on what you don't. Although I agree with everything you have said about letting the negative energy go. I believe this is also key for retaining happiness. Surrounding yourself by others you love, and that love you is another way to live more positively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response Chloe! I think your addition in the ideas of positivity were really great. The idea of focusing on the positive in your life is a really common theme in building self-love.

      Delete
  2. Overall, this post was very helpful for me and an enjoyable read. I agree that self love is very important and we shouldn't be too critical of ourselves when we don't meet certain expectations. For me, to stay positive I like to look at things that will make me happy and try to tell myself that not every mistake makes me a failure. I also feel that often in my life, I am on the road to destination disaster and am constantly panicking about what I want and can not have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey! Thanks for your comment! I agree with your idea that people are often too critical of themselves when they don't reach their personal standards. I think your idea of not seeing mistakes as failures is really good and I will start integrating them into my life too. Many people experience destination disaster, and in regards to that, just try to realize that what is destined to happen will.

      Delete