Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Foundational Hand

The foundational hand is also known as the formal manuscript, or bookhand. Both the pen widths and the pen angle are fairly easy. The pen width is 5 nibs wide, with the ascenders (such as d) and the descenders (such as g) 3 pen nibs wide. Bennett says, “One reason this alphabet is easy to learn, is you use only the 30-degree pen angle for almost all strokes... (there’s only one exception, the lowercase z) (125). As always, I started with some warmups provided by the book. I first wrote some v’s, with one side thin and the other thick, to get an idea of the correct pen angle. Then, I practiced some basic strokes that are the base of this alphabet.


After I warmed up, I started the lower-case letters. The lower-case letters have different shapes such as round letters, letters that have the “n” or “u” shape, the straight-line letters, and letters that have a “v” shape. I’ll start off by talking about the round letters, which are: b, c, d, e, o, p and q. Bennett says once you get the round letters right, you should be able to do all the letters easily. He also says that you should always do the left side of the letter first, to ensure you will have enough space between the letters (126-127).


Next are the letters that have the “n” or “u” shape. These letters are: u, m, h, r, and a. What I mostly paid attention to was making sure the letters were symmetrical, and making sure the letters have no slant to them, which was hard since this whole time, I’ve been trying to make my calligraphy slanted and fancy!


The next set of letters are the ones that have straight lines, which are: I, j, k, l, and t. I noticed that some of the curves at the end, or serifs, were almost microscopic. The main thing I paid attention to in these were keeping the strokes very straight and consistent.


After this was the letters that have a “v” shape, which are: v, w, and y. These ones were simple, so I quickly moved on to perfecting the final set of letters: all of the ones that were left. Just in case you weren’t keeping track :), they are: f, g, s, x, and z. The most complicated was the g, which was made up of four different strokes. But, there was no other letter other than the g that I thought was too hard.


After these, I started on the capital letters. These barely took any time, because all I had to do was join my previous knowledge of proportions and strokes from the Roman alphabet. Bennett says, “The capital letters for this alphabet are essentially a relaxed, less formal version of the Roman capitals” (130). For additional information about proportion, feel free to look at my previous blog about the Roman alphabet.




Bennett has us do this style, the foundation for calligraphy, after the italic and the Roman alphabets. His reasoning is that one should learn the hard things first, so the easy ones will seem like a breeze. Do you agree with his philosophy? Why or why not?

Bennett, Jim. Calligraphy for Dummies. For Dummies, 2007. Print.



4 comments:

  1. Great post. I think it depends on what you're learning. I know with both English and yoga, you cannot access the harder things until you have mastered the more simple concepts/poses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for providing your insight. I agree with you, that with a majority of activities in life, one had to complete one level before moving onto the next. For example, if one were free falling off a plane, I think it should get progressively harder, not easier. But, in this case, with calligraphy, I think one can make a choice. I personally liked doing the harder fonts first, because it was so much easier doing this one, which allowed me to spend more time doing extra variations and pushing my limits. Are there any other life experiences you think would be easier if you did the hard steps first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that if you start on a lower level and work your way up to the harder level after you have mastered what you were working on would be easier because then you could apply your knowledge to that activity and you wouldn't be struggling so much on the harder activity that came first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally think that with calligraphy, I did have to work really hard on the first two fonts I tried out, like you said. Then, I applied the knowledge from the harder fonts on this one. I think that doing the hard work first allowed me to do this font very nicely. I think I would've worked hard in the beginning, anyways, because I had to learn how to do calligraphy. But, doing this font was a lot easier since I had mastered the harder fonts. For this reason, I think that doing the harder fonts in calligraphy allowed me to spend more time on other details on this font. In calligraphy, what aspects do you think are hard? Which aspects are easy? Why?

      Delete