Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Mini-Meals Or Three Meals A Day?

Is it better to eat mini-meals all day or 3 full meals? This one one question Joel Fuhrman answers in the book  "The End OF Diabetes". 

My aunt once told me that it is better for your body to eat small meals multiple times a day because it is easier for your body to digest and keeps you from feeling hungry. In the book Joel says otherwise noting that the "cellular repair and detoxification occurs most readily in the non-digestive stage"(Fuhrman142) and that snacking is bad for your body because you "take on more needed calories if you eat when not truly hungry." (Fuhrman143).
Eating 3 regular meals can help your health.

I decided to try eating my meals at more standard times and to cut back on the amount of snacking I do. The first few days I felt hungry between meals and wanted to snack, but then tried eating larger meals compared to what I normally eat and this helped me with the feeling of being hungry in between meals. It also made the urge to snack go away compared to when I was eating smaller irregular meals.

Eating larger meals can stop the urge to snack


Overall I feel that eating 3 large meals a day works and can be beneficial to your health but this can be hard to do especially if you have a irregular schedule or are on the move a lot and is worth the effort.

What changes to your schedule could you make to eat healthier?


Fuhrman, Joel. The End of Diabetes: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.

9 comments:

  1. Jarrett,
    Being so busy all the time going from soccer game, to soccer game my family tends to eat a lot of snacks or fast food in between games. My family TRIES to eat healthier when we're driving around to all of our activities, but it's really hard with a busy schedule. A change we could make is take healthier snacks and make better choices about what to eat between games. Or like you said, to cut out the urge to snack, we could eat larger, healthier meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very hard to eat the recommended servings every day. I myself eat fast food and things like that when in a rush but as long as you are not doing this every day you will be ok.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I eat many meals a day. I am a big advocate for this method but my snack are generally pretty healthy. Dinner is my only consistent meal, lunch and breakfast are comprised of a variety of vegetables, fruits, nuts and sometimes a sandwich interspersed throughout the day. This method works for me but I can see how it could be beneficial to other people to cut out the snacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating the 3 meals a day is very hard to do in a modern time with all that people do. My schedule often changes and I don't think I could consistently eat my meals at a set time. If you can stay close it is still beneficial.

      Delete
  4. I often eat out of stress, so I think that eliminating stress in my life would really help me to eat better. I find myself able to focus on eating habits much easier when I am not stressed to the max (in the summer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many different ideas on why people eat when stressed but the most common is that human body produces the hormone cortisol which can create cravings for sweet and salty foods. Eliminating stress can help you in more ways then what you eat because stress causes un needed fatigue on the body.

      Delete
  5. I feel like snacking less can help me to eat better. It's hard to not snack right when you get home from school and I probably need to limit that. Sometimes I go for a second helping which probably doesn't benefit me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that too. When I snack they are normally foods that are not healthy and if I can eat enough, I tend not to snack

      Delete