Pages

Friday, December 12, 2014

“Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” — Rachel Zoe

It all started back when I was 5. I was stubborn, getting ready for another dreaded day of kindergarten which usually, I would never attend, and did NOT want to wear that fruit filled, JcPenny long-sleeve that my mother had gotten me. I fought and fought for my right to wear what I wanted, which is what I got. I wore the Summer season overalls that I got from The Children's Place, even though it was Fall and rainy outside. Ever since that moment I knew what I'd always choose myself, my apparel. My style. My fashion. Me. It was all my choice, and did I ever let anyone stop me from wearing what I wanted? Never. Even though I was told to not wear high-waisted skinny jeans in 8th grade because they "weren't in style", or they simply just didn't fit my figure. Well honey, I could care less if they didn't look good on ME, as long as it matched the rest of my outfit I was most definitely okay with wearing it. And that my folks, is my reasoning behind why I chose How To Be A Fashion Designer by Marcarena San Martin, which tells the truth about why people dress the way they do and shop where they do. This book will help me produce my own type of style, to become a true fashion chameleon and shower my knowledge of style upon others who read this.

"What is fashion?"(Martin 15). This question makes many wonder. Fashion. "Defining fashion is not easy, because fashion is multifaceted." (Martin 15), that is it. The truth. In this book, I learned that the first step is developing designs that buyers will crave to wear (Martin 11). In this blog, I'll be showing my drawn perspective of the three primary purposes of dressing that I see on a daily basis in public which are:
1) " To make the visible social distinction of a person," (Martin 16).

I decided to choose a celebrity that anyone can easily identify since she wears clothing that help show her body figure. Since Kim Kardashian known for her unique body, it's only natural for her to flaunt it. She also wears her rock on her left ring finger that Kanye had got her for their wedding which is a statement figure, simple yet very out-there.This type of style is made up of luxury brands.
  2) "To express one's taste and personality," (Martin 16).

The reason why I designed an outfit like this is because it's the in-between of the three primary purposes. This style is something that one chooses and makes themselves, from random stores such as Charlotte Rouse, Forever 21, Love Culture, etc. It's not luxury, or basic. It's being adventurous, mixing and matching, and doesn't have to pertain to just one certain theme. To wear this style, you have to be able to remember what you have in your closet before buying, because trust me, I've made that mistake plenty of times by bringing home random mall pick-ups that I couldn't say no to, and realizing that I have absolutely nothing to wear it with.

3) "And to seduce, that is, to fit into a social group." (Martin 16).

This style is one we all see on an everyday basis anywhere we go. It's a casual, sporty, and comfortable style that many girls wear out. It's the hype of teenage girls. VS Pink, Lulu-lemon, The North Face, and Ugg. Of course being accompanied with a Pumpkin Spice Latte, it would all bind together and make other girls stop and wonder why they aren't dressing like that. It's contagious, I mean even I have fallen under the spell of wanting to fit in this "trend" because it's so simple and effortless to pull off!

Question:  What do you dress for? What inspires you to dress the way you do?





San Martin, Marcarena. Field Guide: How To Be A Fashion Designer. Beverly, MA: Paco Asensio, 2009. 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Simrit,

    I really enjoyed your post and all of the drawings! How did you learn to draw? Personally, I taught myself until this year. If you haven't read my post yet, feel free to take a look! It's called "Pencil Techniques (Sketches)."

    For me, I usually just dress for comfort or choose whatever I see first in my closet. I don't spend much time picking out my outfit or planning it. Comfort is my first priority when it comes to fashion!
    But, it was really interesting to read about your little story and learn a few things about fashion.

    ~Hannah Lin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I actually learned how to draw back before preschool I believe haha, and yes I looked! Your blog is really cool since we both draw and have interest in doing so! :)
      I'm glad you liked my story!!

      Delete
  2. I really like your drawings! like what Hannah said, I dress for comfort. I dress up the way I do because I just like how my clothes are fitted and are comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon!:)
      and yeah I do that as well, especially when I'm doing homework.

      Delete
  3. Your post really caught my eye because it was so unique! You really put a lot of voice into your post which I liked. I love how you didn't care about what anyone said about what you wear because to me fashion is something that you should never care about what others think because it's expressing your personality. I feel as if this book was a really good choice for you because you are so fashionable. All of the outfits you drew were extremely good.
    I love the second outfit and it makes me want to go out and buy an outfit similar to that because it's so cute! I totally agree that you have to be adventurous to mix and math clothing for it to look good. I will try out this outfit sometime(:
    Th last outfit is the outfit i wear almost everyday because I dress so I can be comfortable, I don't like getting up early in the morning to look good, I just want to be comfortable.
    I love your posts and i can't wait for your next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks K90 :)
      I'm glad you read through the whole thing and actually related to two of the styles! And yeah I think everyone juggles between those two styles hahaha.

      Delete
  4. Your post made me think about all of the different social groups here at KR and how/why people categorize themselves into these groups. By the way nice drawings and great subject.

    ReplyDelete