Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Herbalistic Cookies

Cookies are delectable, but have you ever had a cookie with herbs in them? Well this time for my second blog, I made cookies with mint leaves and rosemary and the result surprised me.
The recipe for the dough it self is from " Crazy About Cookies" by Krystina Castella is:

" Ingredients
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large cookies
- 3/4 cup sugar " (Castella 117)

The recipe book let me chose from a variety of different spices like, lavender, anise, and pepper but mint and rosemary were the easiest for me to do.

So after making the cookies dough, the recipe says to divide the dough ball into two and knead in the spices into the separate balls, (Castella 117). Then roll the ball into a log and cut 1/2 pieces and place on a baking sheet,(Castella 118).

So after they baked, they looked like greem speckled sugar cookies,



So the ones on the left are the rosemary cookies, and the ones on the right are the mint ones. I tried the cookies after they finished and I preferred the rosemary ones surprisingly, the mint did not have a strong flavor but they had a weird after taste.

After making these cookies, I now know that herbs like mint and rosemary add a weird twist to cookies, if I were to make the cookies again I'd try to add lavender and cardamom. The thing I will take from this experience is the regular dough recipe, it's really great and soft, an holds their shape in the oven, perfect for cutting out shapes to decorate.

my question for you is, Have you ever tried a herb/spice cookie or dessert?

Bonnie Lengele

Citations:
Castella, Krystina. Crazy about Cookies: 300 Scrumptious Recipes for Every Occasion & Craving.    New York: Sterling, 2010. Print.

6 comments:

  1. Those cookies looks so good! I have never tried a herb/spice cookie or dessert unless sassafras is an herb then yes I have tried an herb dessert. I don't really like herbs because they tend to be a bit strong; I like spices more because they add a little kick of flavor in something that is bland. Was there a reason why you had to roll the dough into a log?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! The reason I had to roll the dough into a log is so that I could cut out cookies and not have to roll them. Sassafras is a spice, it tends to be expensive and is also put in gumbo. The dessert must have been awesome, I have never tried sassafras before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookies look great! I have tried a herb cookie and I thought they were good but they have a different taste then the average cookie. Did the rosemary have a crunch to it in the cookie or did it soften while they baked in the oven? Great job Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! The rosemary in my opinion had no crunch, if anything it would be the bite into the cookie. The rosemary I used was dried, not fresh. They did moisten up during the baking process but folding in the herbs were weird because you could feel a crunch to the dried rosemary.

      Delete
  4. Your cookies look amazing! I actually have never tried an herb cookie/dessert. It sounds very different but im betting it would be good! Good Job on your Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a nice comment! just take a sugar cookie or the recipe above and add a spice or a herb to it. The savory of the herb or spice with counteract with the sweetness of the sugar and create a good flavor profile. I recommend the rosemary, I want to try lavender or anise. Thank you!

      Delete