Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Drawing the Human Eye

According to Mark Kistler, author of You Can Draw in 30 Days, "The human eye is most definitely the window into a person’s soul" (88). But how to capture it? Anyone can simply draw a dot and call it an "eye", but a dot isn't a very good window to a soul, now is it? In his novel, Kistler teaches how to draw a realistic human eye. 





To start off, draw an outline of an eye. In the eye that I sketched, I drew an eye that resembles the shape of a lemon. There are so many different variations of eye shapes that you can draw (Kistler 88). 




Next I drew a round circle inside the outline of the eye to be the iris. I then drew the outline of the top and bottom eyelid. By doing this, the eye looks more realistic. 




Instead of filling in the iris completely with shading, as I would have before, I drew a circle in the iris to be the pupil, and another circle inside the pupil to be a reflection of light. By doing this, it makes the eye more realistic because you're implying that there is a light source. 




I then shaded the pupil in. This provides contrast between the pupil and the reflection of light, differentiating the two. 




When drawing the inside of the iris, Kistler says to " use pencil strokes radiating out from the dark pupil, and use a variety of line lengths, some short, some long" (89). To make the drawing more realistic, I drew lighter lines diagonal of the light reflection on the iris. I also drew an eyebrow by sketching individual, angled, lines. 




To finish the drawing, I added eyelashes by drawing lines in clusters. I lastly shaded the outside and inside of the eye. By shading darker where creases on the eyelid are, i show value, making the drawing more realistic. Also i shaded the corners of the eye to represent shadows. 




Because of Mark Kistler's book, I now know how to a realistic eye. When drawing faces, eyes have always troubled me, but now, I no longer will have any trouble. As mentioned before, the eye is a window to a persons soul. Do you think that by drawing a more realistic eye, the statement above becomes true in a drawing as it would with a real eye?


Kistler, Mark. You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo, 2011. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kaitlyn,
    I really liked your explanation of each step you did to get the final result! I really like how you drew the eye, and the depth of value that you have in the eyelids. Great job! To answer your question I think yes, the statement about the eyes becomes true in a drawing because I think you can express anything in a drawing. You can express the mood in a drawing and eyes can show what person's soul, how it feels like and in what mood the person is. Thank you for your post, I really liked your type of question, it was really interesting to think about it more deeply. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! thank you for commenting and for your positive feedback! I really appreciate it! Regarding your answer to my question, I completely agree with you. I also believe that by drawing eyes, artists are able to reveal different emotions.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kaitlyn,

    That eye is amazing...I've always struggled with drawing a realistic eye, but I think I can do it now thanks to your post! The shading tips seem really helpful.

    To answer your question: I do think that when an eye is drawn realistically, an artist can convey certain emotions through the eye. Many portraits (like the Mona Lisa) have attracted the viewers because of the vivid eyes that are expressing something.

    Anyways, I really enjoyed your post!

    ~Hannah Lin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah! Thanks for commenting! i agree with you. i believe that when drawing a face, the eyes are one of the most important elements because they reveal the main emotions the artist wants to communicate to the viewer.

      Delete