Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Values in Drawings

For me, values is one of the hardest details in the drawing, because it is all about the degree of the light and darkness in the drawing (Willenbrink 48). They make form and depth to a basic structure (48). To learn how to give extra form to an object, Willenbrink suggests to take foam white shapes and set them up with a good light source. Next, observe carefully the characteristics of the shapes, the lights and how the shadows fall. You can notice the wide range of values.

Contrast is also, very important to give value to the drawing. Willenbrink says that: "Value contrasts are relative. They appear differently according to their environment" (49). For example, the small square on the right appears darker than the small square on the left, but they are both the same value. The square on the right appears darker because its environment is pure white, which provides more contrast.
To make your drawing realistic you have to include light effects. Lets take a basic shape, an apple. To determine the shading and shadows of an apple, it is important to determine the position of the light source, so you know which direction the light is coming. As we see in this example, light is coming from top. A highlight is when light reflects off an object. In the drawing, this is the bright spot. From shadow is a shadow on an object that gives depth and dimension to its form. A cast shadow is a shadow that is cast or thrown by one object onto another surface. Reflected light is light that bounces off a surface and adds light to a region of the object that would otherwise be darker.
I learned more than I knew before. I didn't notice before that when you want to make something stand out in your drawing you have to use colors that will show contrast. For example, I was drawing sunset with water, and I was drawing a sun. I didn't know how to make the sun bright, so it can stand out, but now I know that I have to use colors that are different in color and darkness from each other.


How do you use light effects or contrast in your drawings? (maybe share some of your drawings).

















4 comments:

  1. Hi Elvira!

    Your sunset drawing is incredible! I love how you created a reflection in the water.
    I usually show contrast in my drawings by following the method you talked about. I make the area around the light source a little darker, then slowly increase the darkness so that it's a gradation. Sometimes I will use my eraser to make sure the area looks bright and highlighted.

    This post reminds me of the project I just finished in Commercial Art I. In there, we used only black ink to create a piece of art that showed a ton of contrast. The concept was that even with only positive and negative space (black and white), we could create dimension. It was very interesting.

    Anyways, I really enjoyed your post! I learn a lot every time I read one of your posts :)

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And reading my book I learn new things too, and this book helped me draw sunset.

      Delete
  2. You're a really god artist! Also that contrast picture with the two squares if really cool! When I draw I normally don't use light effects or contrast because i'm not that advanced of an artist. When I do though I usually just use the side of my pencil and shade and rub.
    Great post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am not advanced artist either. I learned this from my book, Drawing for the Absolute Beginner by Willenbrink. I do same thing, use the side of my pencil for shading and rub to smooth it out. Thank you for commenting on my post! :)

      Delete