Pages

Friday, December 26, 2014

Fear of...



As I read further in my book I realize that there's more to procrastination than just fear of success and failure.

Fear of Success and Failure (more in depth)

People who procrastinate because they fear failure believe they have to meet a certain standard. They are afraid that if they don't meet that standard they are somehow less. It's possible that they have the ability and could easily meet that standard, but they choose to sabotage themselves and procrastinate. Dr. Beery states this mindset into an equation:

Self Worth=Ability=Performance
(Burka and Yuen 21)
Now the problem with this mindset is that your performance is directly related to your self worth. If you apply this to every situation you're not going to have a high self-esteem. Say you decide to try a new sport, soccer for example, and you make the team! During your first practice, you miss every opportunity to score a goal, somehow slipping or missing the shot completely. You leave feeling defeated. You believe that since you didn't make a goal you are somehow incompetent at soccer, forgetting the fact that this is your first time playing soccer. You feel as though your self worth is directly connected to how many goals you can score.

Procrastination fits into this equation between ability and performance. The connection between self worth and performance is broken by procrastination. Procrastination is easier to blame for a poor essay than yourself. You can always say "I could have done better on that essay if I hadn't procrastinated" instead of taking the responsibility for the bad grade.

Now the flip side, people who procrastinate because they fear success believe that if they achieve a goal, it will somehow hurt someone. For example: "Teresa went to work to augment the family income. Her husband, Tony, was a building contactor whose business had hit the hard times. Teresa started making good money on commissions at her sales job. But instead of capitalizing on her success, she got so far behind on her paperwork that her job was threatened. 'I was afraid to tell Tony about my commissions because I didn't want to hurt his pride. It wasn't his fault that his business was bad and I was making more money'" (Burka and Yuen 40). Jane believes that if she was to capitalize on her commissions her husband's pride would be hurt, which in reality probably isn't the case. He would more likely be happy that there's more money flowing towards the family income rather than hurt that Teresa is making more money than him.

Another example similar to the situation of Teresa is college students with parents that did not attend college. "I love my family, but I feel I'm leaving them behind, and I know that hurts them" (Burka and Yuen 41). Many colleges student in this situation feel this turmoil. They want to make their parents proud, knowing the sacrifices they have made for them to attend college, but they feel as though they are leaving their parents in the dust so to say. Identifying why you procrastinate is the first step to figure out how to stop it. Why do your procrastinate? Do you fear failing and not being good enough? Are you afraid of hurting a loved one by your success? Or is it neither?

6 comments:

  1. This post was really interesting to read. I procrastinate, because I work best under pressure. I seem to be my most creative and give my best performance with some pressure. I also have incredibly limited time and I have to prioritize, so I often procrastinate on anything that doesn't demand immediate attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you feel that your procrastination is a problem for you?

      Delete
  2. Hey Trevor this was a great post. Usually when I procrastinate it is because I have no motivation to get started on something or am to lazy to get it done. Many times I tell myself that I will start my homework when I get home from school on Friday, but never really get to it until Sunday afternoon because I have no motivation to do anything school related over weekends. I don't think that my fears of failing or not being good enough have every resulted in procrastination and I also would never be afraid of hurting a loved one by my success because no matter what they will support me and be happy that I have achieved success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you procrastinate because you just don't want to do any school work until the last moment?

      Delete
  3. Hi Trevor, I procrastinate all the time but I don't think its because I'm scared of hurting someone I love or failing. I procrastinate because I think I am better than I really am at completing work and also I find something better to do. Do you have any tips in stopping this habit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it sounds like you have poor time management? If I read that right. Everyone has their own sense of time. Now there's a difference between your personal time and clock time. Learning to flow seamlessly between the two is how people effectively manage their schedule. I always find myself saying "It'll take me an half and hour to finish my math homework" when in fact it'll take me an hour. Try overestimating how much time you need. That might help you realize you need to start earlier on certain projects.

      Delete